Friday, October 26, 2012

Last night was terrible

All children woke up, many babies screamed for a long time, I had insomnia, and Elizabeth woke an hour early. In spite of this we've had a good day, with a visit to see Judith, Isaiah, and Aaron, a slight case of hypoglycemia on the way home but nothing serious, and frozen pizza for dinner. Plus broccoli. Nat ate about two cups of broccoli. He won't die of scurvy this week.

I'm not sure if I'm up to letting the babies shriek it out again tonight, although I should, because otherwise last night was for nothing. I went outside to put some garbage out and found our next door neighbours listening and concerned that something was very wrong, but reassured them that the babies were just angry and lonely. I do not actually line their cribs with spikes and broken glass, although they seem to think I do.

So tired. I think I will either go to bed (it isn't eight yet) or lie down on the couch.

Still haven't done the butter chicken/mac'n'cheese thing, although Alicia said it made her think of butter chicken poutine, which is one of the other best foods in the world (for American or or international readers, fries with butter chicken and cheese on top). I might make it on Sunday and inflict it on Colleen and Jeff.

2 comments:

Sally Thomas said...

This is embarrassing to admit, because you'd think by now I'd have figured out how to produce an 8-year-old who doesn't do this, but:

A couple of weeks ago my 8-year-old was very vocally angry at me (I forget now why). We had the front door open, because it was a pretty day. It's also important to know that there's a community college across the street from us, and our oldest daughter's best friend takes classes there.

So we're in the kitchen at the back of the house, and the 8-year-old is screaming at me, because I'm the meanest person in the world, and suddenly our other daughter's friend bursts in through the dining-room door, crying, "Are you okay? Are you all right?" She thought we were all dying. And then she was really embarrassed -- "Oh, my gosh! I just burst into your house!" -- but I reassured her that it was good to know that if we were really being axe-murdered, she would come to the rescue.

And then she said, "Well, I feel really stupid, because you'd think I'd know that kids scream." She's #5 of 9 kids, and they're not all the silent type, either.

Anyway, if somebody had to be concerned about the screams emanating from my house, I'm really glad it was her and not CPS.

lissla lissar said...

Yes, I was very glad it was our nice, understanding next-door neighbours and not CPS, too.

I think a month ago Geoff was about to put Thomas in his crib for a time out, and Thomas shouted "No! Don't beat me!". The only things that could have made that better were him adding "Again!" and a CPS person listening outside.

I've heard eight is a rough year. I'm hoping less irrationally rough than now- four is better than three, but right now I feel like we have a tiny teenager, and I'm not really enjoying it.