Friday, November 02, 2012

Seven Quick Takes

1. Having just finished reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and then watching the movie, I am impressed with the movie visuals but hate the changes to the children which make them reluctant heroes, especially Peter.

2. Does anyone else have the problem of a house full of food and no idea what to make for dinner? This happens frequently to me.

3. We watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and I do not remember all the name-calling and maliciousness, but wow, we are not watching that again. Nat's been pleasing for it, saying, "It's okay, Mommy, I promise not to behave like that if I watch it again!", but no dice.

4. The girls did not sleep in hour-long segments last night, so today will be free-association day.

5. I want to make naan. Judith and kids are coming over today, I have hummus, and I think naan would go nicely if I can manage to remember how to stir.

6. I need many pots of tea today.

7. Next year, more elaborate Halloween costumes, especially for me. Happy All Souls Day!

8. Bonus take- I wonder what kind of dip I could make that would include a vegetable and that the kids would eat? I wonder if that's a fantasy?

2 comments:

Tristian said...

Roast carrot and garlic dip? I like roasting things in general, and carrots and garlic sound pretty good. It should also be fairly sweet so kids might like that?

http://www.cbc.ca/bestrecipes/2011/03/roasted-carrot-dip.html
Maybe? just from a quick google, I'm not sure about the mayo and sour cream, but a looks like a good template.

I also like making a spinach and feta dip. I'm not sure how kid friendly that would be. As a kid you couldn't get me to touch spinach for money.
Just saute the spinach until it's limp but still green throw it in the blender with as much feta as you think is reasonable (cough equal parts cough) some lemon juice and maybe some roasted garlic.

lissla lissar said...

Those both sound good. I keep thinking about buying a large bag of peeled garlic cloves and doing some sort of slow baked/roasted tomato garlic thing to serve as a dip, and use for a sauce base. There's a Laurie Colwin recipe with loose instructions- drain cans of tomatoes and put in large pan with tons of garlic and olive oil, then cook for hours, stirring the browned parts in. Sounds yummy.