Sunday, January 27, 2013

Still want to eat nothing but Tex-Mex

For the rest of my life. I'm also seriously thinking about making tortillas sometime today, which is probably nuts, because of All the Small Children and because making tortillas means spending time using a collection of red-hot frying pans while trying not to burn anything. I love homemade flour tortillas, but they're a pain to make.

Still, I might.

Are there any vegetables in Tex-Mex? Besides peppers? I know there are in authentic Mexican but I'm not up to Diana Kennedy right now.

I went to bed at eight-thirty and even though the girls got up for an hour at four forty-five I feel great. I need to work out a way to feel like this without losing my evening.

4 comments:

so many things to love... said...

Well, corn for one. Tomatoes are pretty universal. Onions. You could probably argue for a green of some sort if finely chopped...

lissla lissar said...

We don't eat onions. Geoff throws up. Not an allergy, but a really strong food aversion.

Tristian said...

Cilantro is good as a green if you don't go nuts with it, I'm not sure if green onions are okay with geoff, maybe just the green ends? They are a bit less onion-y. I've been putting a brown long grain rice in my burritos recently instead of beans, and it's been pretty good. Garlic, lime juice, corn from a cobb (or frozen i guess). I'm sure there's something eles but it's sliping my mind at the moment.

Those are nice looking tortillas, I've tried making them in the past and I'm not sure I've quite got the technique down.

lissla lissar said...

Takes practice. I've had total failure at decent corn tortillas but I'm okay at flour ones. I like flour tortillas better, anyway.