Monday, February 04, 2013

Thinking about food

I posted a long and meandering comment over on The Wine Dark Sea about food, although the post was mostly about books. I was doing my usual rant about people thinking food should be the means to a perfect body, and health as some kind of ultimate good. Something I get loud and boring about at the drop of a hat.

Anyway, one of the things Geoff's been reading about is the placebo effect, and how it works, and how, even if you're conscious you've been given a placebo, it will still work. The efficacy depends on a lot of factors, including how much suffering the treatment entails (shots of saline are more effective than sugar pills, for instance), how authoritative the figure prescribing treatment was, how committed you are etc.There's an awful lot of whole food/raw food/no grain/paleo/anti-sugar/no nightshade/vegan perfect diet stuff going around, and I wonder about the health benefits people report come from the restrictions and how much from the power of placebo.

Anyway. That was my bright idea for the month. Carry on.

No comments: