Monday, February 11, 2013

Went outside with Thomas

Nat went to Riverdale farm with Cynthia, Sylvia, and Tristan yesterday after lunch, so I convinced Thomas to come out to the yard with me and work on the snow fort. We made crenellations with a yogurt tub and then made a small snow mountain ("It's my castle. I'm pritty suure it's a casdtle. It pritty big!") and every few minutes Thomas would hear a quiet sound and stop everything and say, "You hear dat?" and we would talk about what the sounds were overhead and around us. Dripping water, distant dogs and airplanes, birdsong.

I don't spend a lot of time alone with my middle child. My oldest is curious, unbelievably energetic, and very much in his own world. Thomas is much more aware of small things, intuitive, and doesn't get sensory overload as fast. He's so sweet.

No comments: