Friday, May 17, 2013

1. Since Nat was up with a migraine at five this morning, I have started a batch of no-knead bread with pureed sweet potato and beans in it. I used half white and half whole wheat flour, and I'll give it a really long rise and hope it doesn't turn out heavy. Or at least not inedibly heavy. Nat's asleep on the couch and I hope he feels better when he wakes up.

2. Today is Baking Day. I'm doing the bread and Geoff wants whole wheat coffee cake and we have a cookies tin so I was going to make cookies. Oatmeal chocolate chip or peanut butter. Something simple. We'll see how it goes because I didn't actually get that much sleep last night- Elizabeth is teething and cried between three and four and Mim was up a couple of times, plus Nat's early waking. I still feel better than I used to.

3. If my energy holds out it would also be good to brown all the ground beef I got to get it ready for the inventive things I do with ground beef, like... chili and taco filling and spaghetti sauce.

4. Amy, I haven't done the chicken/garlic/wine/artichoke thing yet but I will tomorrow. To use up the year-old Costco jar of artichokes.

5. Geoff is reading a book I read part of entitled The Difficult Child, about children who are very excitable with sensory problems and problems transitioning and we're talking about identifying core problem behaviour and laying off on everything else. I'm supposed to be reading a book about gifted kids who are misdiagnosed  with ADHD, but I keep avoiding it and re-reading snippets of Game of Thrones, which is probably going to cause me social problems. All the people in it are so awful. If I start acting like that  I would like someone to shoot me.


6. Nat just threw up. Going to be an interesting morning.

7. Hope we don't have to take him to the hospital. Diabetes sucks.

4 comments:

Rosie said...

I made some too-dense no-knead bread with wheat flour once and the kids LOVED it. But they didn't really consider it to be bread... It's all how you sell it, right?

lissla lissar said...

What did you call it? Mine is okay but kind of sunken. It might be okay as bread pudding if I can sell it to them by putting maple syrup all over it. I'm becoming increasingly unfond of no-knead bread- I really like traditional kneaded bread's loft and crust much better.

so many things to love... said...

It's odd - I had a friend who was obsessed with no-knead bread. She used Mark Bittman's recipe, I believe. And I tried it and tried it but mine always turns out like a brick. And it isn't as though I can't bake bread - my 'regular' bread is fine. Something about the no-knead stuff...

lissla lissar said...

It works okay for me for white bread and monkey bread sorts of things, but I don't find the gluten formation is very good. I'll do it when I'm pressed for time but I really prefer regular bread.

Now if I could just get my oven to stop burning the bottom crusts...