Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Vignettes

It was not a great moment finding Thomas outside the library without his shoes yesterday. We were in the basement, in the kids' section, and I walked twenty feet away to retrieve his shoes. By the time I got back he has disappeared. Found him after five minutes of searching, up the flight of stairs and out. He saw me through the doors, grinned, and tried to bolt off.


Nat read the sign on a school fence yesterday that said Fun Fair. He sounded it out by himself, and I was briefly proud, then puzzled, because he immediately started screaming, "I don't want them to have a Fun Fair! I don't want people to be invited! I want it to be an unfun fair and I want nobody to come!"

There was a small deep hole in the grass between our sidewalk and the street. We had a tremendous storm last night and now we have a huge pit five feet across and six feet deep. So I'm going to try to keep the kids out until it's been repaired. No planting herbs today. Maybe the tomatoes in the back, instead.

I should dig out the letter-writing workbook and start Nat practising writing his letters. He can do it, but i noticed yesterday that he does it in the least logical and most effort-intensive fashion possible (right to left, bottom to top) and since he's on a writing kick this is not good. Maybe we'll go out an get some more markers and paper today as incentive.

5 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Bella does really inefficient letters too. I was able to help her some with numbers since we did it in the context of math lessons. I fear I may never fix her letter problems. Maybe when I teach her cursive....

priest's wife said...

kids and shoes....I feel your pain! ;)

lissla lissar said...

I got out a workbook I had and persuaded Nat to do a whole line of A's, and then he lost interest. Maybe if I bring it out once a day for a minute or two we can get some practice in without a lot of protest.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Yeah. A minute or two might be doable. That kind of thing totally works for Sophie. She loves workbooks. I found Bella hates workbooks with a passion. But will happily copy things she finds interesting. As long as it's her idea.

lissla lissar said...

Bella and Nat are soulamtes. Getting him to do things that aren't his idea is like pulling teeth.