Thursday, June 13, 2013

"Bottled by Hartburn Insecticide Company"



"Early one Friday afternoon, Arthur and Humphrey, the leaders of the church mice, were strolling in the churchyard grumbling about how small the portions of pudding had been at lunch. Humphrey was saying that prominent members of society should have double helpings and Arthur was agreeing and saying that somebody should do something about it when suddenly..."

I was just reading my very elderly copy of this book to Nat and Thomas, with optional Babies Crawling All Over us. I love the Church mice books, especially the illustrations, which are hilarious (it pays to read all the labels and signs- Plum jam- contains no fruit-).I've had church mice books and loved them since I was probably five or six, and Nat started requesting them at about age two, although he'd only sit for a page. Now, barring incidents like Babies All  Over Us he'll listen to the whole story and sometimes read some words out of it.

1 comment:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I've seen the church mice books recommended various places but have never seen the actual books.