Monday, July 08, 2013

Four o'clock

It's four a.m., Miriam has been crying since three-thirty, and I have John Harrison kicking people around behind my eyelids. I always forget that if I see a violent and/or tense movie I sort of need to de-frag my brain afterwards, because the images affect me so strongly. It was a fun movie, though- it made about as much sense as most Star Trek (and because Geoff has been rewatching all of Star Trek for the last year and a half, I am way more familiar with the canon than I was, although admittedly he hasn't gotten to the first series and movies yet). There were lots of explosions and lots of silly plot holes. I liked it.

I rather like, in the reboot, how how actually see violence happen. In the original Trek (okay, I'm still mostly familiar with STNG, and boy howdy do I know Deep Space Nine through Enterprise well, now) there's lots of wars and brutality happening, but it's mostly offscreen and sort of sanitized. Bajor, for instance, was brutally dominated for fifty years. The whatachmacallums from the Gamma Quandrant invaded the Federation and killed billions. Lots of people dying, generally offscreen. I don't think it's necessary to always show people being violently sucked out into space, but it feels a little more real than the usual, "Hull breach, Captain. Lost seventy-five crewmen. We're fine." sort of stuff.

If this fails to make any sense, well, it's four, and I haven't gotten much sleep. I think Miriam may have finally capitulated to exhaustion, and I should probably go back to bed.

No comments: