Wednesday, July 31, 2013

"I wish I had a rope of my own"

"I promise I won't tie anyone up with it."

Nat is full of wistfulness about the ropes he is not allowed to have. Because he inevitably ties people up with them.

There were no crib-escapes last night, and I went to bed before nine, so while I don't feel bouncy I am at least in better shape and have done a lot of chores and have bread dough rising. Doing bread means we can't go anywhere this morning, but we might get to the park this afternoon.


I realised yesterday that I've been reading Sherlock Holmes pastiche for about twenty years- first the not-very-good Carole Nelson Douglas series, which centres on Irene Adler, and then the much better Laurie King series about Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, set in the Twenties. Guilty pleasure reading, plus Laurie King apparently studied theology and her main character is  Jewish feminist and theologian, which makes her interesting. The earlier novels are better. The details are very nice, especially the dialogue and clothes. I have a deep nostalgia for the time between the start of WWI and the end of the Twenties. Probably because of Rilla of Ingleside and Brideshead Revisited.

Now on to laundry and kid-wrangling and general life.


No comments: