Saturday, August 03, 2013

Food planning

In an excess of I-got-to-sleep enthusiasm I'm doing some food planning. I think I'll do a large batch of the zucchini marmalade from The Kitchn, some Korean-ish ground beef, and maybe buy one of the unreasonably large bags of peeled garlic and do a red pepper and garlic sauce or compote. The zucchini butter is here and I'm thinking about other vegetables to turn into spreads. I find the problem with eating a lot of vegetables is that you have to do things to them. Jars of compote or spread mean I can just put some on bread and gobble. Much more efficient. So if I caramelize garlic and roasted peppers and thyme, that sounds good. Or something similar with sweet potatoes. What other vegetables would be good that way?

Not onions unless it's only for me.

2 comments:

Isabelle said...

Ajvar! It's hot peppers and sweet peppers and eggplants. It normally contains onion, but I suppose you could just omit it and add more garlic instead.
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2013/01/ajvar
We also tend to keep a jar of muhammara in the fridge at all times. It's good for last-minute antipasto type dinners.
(Apparently, all my spreads are red-pepper based. I think I might have a bit of a problem.)

lissla lissar said...

I love ajvar. The sweet potato/garlic/red pepper dip turned out a little avjar-y, and it's great. I LIKE spreadable vegetables. I might try making it myself. There's always baba ganouj and similar spreads, but I want to branch out.

I've also come to the conclusion that what I should eat for breakfast is either some kind of Mexian thing, dal, or a ham sandwich. I don't dig sweet breakfast foods unless they're complicated and I have time for brunch, which I don't.