Tuesday, August 06, 2013

I keep thinking

About fandom and self-definition, and in a larger way about the way we use our likes and dislikes to define ourselves. No real conclusions, but it's interesting to think about. I've been thinking about the ways fans (of TV, movies, sports) act as though their participation makes them, mystically, part of the experience. And the ways in which art, sports, and general entertainment are  a conversation between creators and fans.

I've also been needling Geoff with request to define the philosophical differences between Star Wars  and Star Trek.  We agree that Star Trek is basically anthropology in jumpsuits, plus exploring the human condition, and that Star Wars is much more fantasy than science fiction and is a pseudo-mystical space opera sort of thing. Star Wars fans can now jump all over me. Or explain why I'm wrong.

The reason I am writing this is twofold- first, Phineas and Ferb is on, which gives me the quiet to sit down at the computer, and second- the girls slept from eight till four last night, woke, and went back to sleep till seven-thirty. I expected to feel like angels were singing, and instead I feel clearheaded but tired, which makes me wonder about the long-term effects of sleep deprivation, and how many good nights it would take before I woke up not wanting to go right back to sleep. There's a difference in the type of sleepiness, though- it's more like recreational sleepiness, like, "Ooh, a nap would be nice." instead of "If I don't get more sleep I'm going to die."

Now off to make breakfast, put laundry in, and think about the Farmer's Market. Plus actually interact with my kids instead of staring at the computer...

2 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Oh what heaven it is to get real sleep after long stretches of sleep deprivation. I remember what it was like to be constantly on that sleep-deprived edge. Truly it is the verge of psychosis, always ready to fall off the deep end. I hope and pray this is the beginning of a new, good pattern for them.

lissla lissar said...

It seems to be, although Miriam had a rough night again last night. I think if at least one of them is doing better overall life will improve a lot.