Saturday, August 10, 2013

Late at night again

I'm trying to re-re-re-night wean the girls, after a string of gradually-worsening nights. It's now almost one and Miriam has been crying most of the time since eleven or so, which was shortly after I fell asleep. I'm doing the Survival Calculations in my mind- How will tomorrow be if I sleep one hour? How about two?- and also having insomnia in spite of earplugs. I can still hear them through the earplugs, most of the time. So I came downstairs to fiddle around on the internet and try to ignore them. I think tomorrow I will need Coke, so my big Sunday plans will involve leaving the house briefly in order to purchase some.

I ought to clean out the fridge, but I'm not sure I can muster the enthusiasm. It is nearly one in the morning.

I had a very nice argument about papal infallibility with Amy earlier this evening. It was interesting in for me because it's something I haven't thought a lot about. It doesn't worry me. She thinks it's presumptuous for any human to declare they speak infallibly and I don't, although I'm currently too fried to clarify why.



Miriam (whom I still love, even though she's very loud) has started bringing me books and sitting in my lap. She'll stay for the whole thing, too, especially if it's a board book. I think Nat started doing it about that age. It's adorable. Elizabeth will, too, but Mim is more persistent.

We had a lovely moment this evening when I realised all the children were occupied either with books or lego, mostly books. Nat and Thomas were cuddled together looking at a book on the digestive system. We'd previously had occasion to look up how the body responds to cuts and abrasions, because Nat stuck his finger in a pencil sharpener and turned it. We are minus part of one fingernail and plus some knowledge about how blood clotting and white blood cells work.


2 comments:

so many things to love... said...

I love our arguments and I hope you do, too.

lissla lissar said...

Yes, I do. That one was nice.

Amazingly I haven't needed Coke today, although I have had a lot of tea and an hour-long nap. Still don't know what to make for dinner.