Friday, August 30, 2013

Seven Quick Takes: Writing Slowly All Day

1. Today we begin a lower dose for Nat's long-acting insulin. I am in fear and nervousness, because I think this will mean a child with a blood sugar of 32 at lunch and 40 at dinner, who acts like a chimpanzee on speed. Until I learn to compensate by increased fast-acting insulin at lunch and snack time. It will be very exciting. By exciting I mean you may request that my kids not visit your kids for a week or so, until I've got this sorted.

2. Tomorrow is Geoff's first day of vacation, during which we will do all sorts of exciting things. He's going to build shelves across the basement, which will be more efficient and help with the near-total lack of organizing downstairs, I'm taking the boys on the bus to visit Alicia and Richard overnight, leaving the girls overnight with Geoff for the first time, Judith and I are going to do homeschool planning, I'd like to do a museum trip and visit at lot of parks.It's not too late for homeschool planning. School doesn't start till Tuesday.

3. Short list of Nat's recent questions:
Why is a thresher shark called a thresher shark?
How does gravity work?
What's a miracle?
Can I go bungee jumping?
Why does the world have rules?
What does 'literal' mean?


4.
The girls are good at stairs

5. Explain to me clearly, in words of one syllable, why I shouldn't order Vietnamese for every meal for the rest of my life. Silly reasons like, "You'd go broke" are not valid. It is so yummy. 

6. I am still really sick, but lo, I am shortening my time in Purgatory by hauling all my children to the park so they can run, become exhausted, and not fight all afternoon. This is my plan. Also we will not eat a lunch made exclusively of chips. Again..

7. Thanks to the marvels of Google I now have Vietnamese food delivered to me, here, in East York: so I want this restaurant to survive and thrive. Thanks to Simcha Fisher I've found this food blog and I think I will make many things from it. And my current other food site addiction http://www.thekitchn.com/ is awesome and I am spending way too much time visiting it and not enough time actually cooking.

Go see Jen!

7 comments:

Isabelle said...

Wait.. there's a way to get Vietnamese food delivered to me? How is it that I'm only just learning this now?
The world is suddenly a vastly better place, mostly because I can't think of the number of times a pho craving has gone unfulfilled because I lacked the energy to shlep all the way down to Gerrard St.
(Also, now I'm craving pho.)

lissla lissar said...

I put the link up. It was pretty good pho. Sadly no banh mi, but I think these people need to be ENCOURAGED because I need grilled pork and chicken spring rolls and pho in my life, and I think you do, to!!!

lissla lissar said...

I need a reason not to order from them once a week. A good reason. Still looking.

lissla lissar said...

Also if I can find a Korean place that delivers I will be completely happy.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I want Vietnamese that delivers. We've got a takeout place in the next town over that isn't too far out of Dom's way home. But that's not the same.

Nat's questions and Sophie's have several points of overlap. I think they'd get along splendidly.

lissla lissar said...

It's such a pity that we live nine hours apart. I wish there was a way to form a nice homeschooling commune. Nat was complaining yesterday that we need teleportation now. I think that would be a great way to handle it. We could all visit each other and the kids could play together...

Melanie Bettinelli said...

What do we want?
Teleportation!
When do we want it?
Now!