Wednesday, September 04, 2013

First Day of School

Yesterday was the first day of school. We got up and had breakfast. After the breakfast I remembered that Nat had been persistently asking about a patch of lichen we pass every few days, and I had been saying vaguely, "It's lichen. I think it's like moss?", so we looked it up in the Nature Encyclopedia, stopping at protozoa on the way (fascinating. Single celled organisms that are neither plant or animal. Many are fierce predators. Nat defined predator for me, very clearly). Lichen, it turns out, is a symbiotic mesh of fungi and algae that doesn't need soil and never flowers.

We pointed out lichen patches on our way to the farmer's market.

After the market the boys went to my parents' for the afternoon, and I came home with the girls. I had a nap and then organized and purged in a frenzy of activity,while Geoff continued the shelves in the basement. When the boys got home I got Nat to sound ouf five or six words in a storybook we were reading, watched the Phineas and Ferb about the Gordian Knot, and called the day an educational win.

Dunno what we'll do today...

4 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I just found out about lichen this summer. I think it was in the botany book I was checking out?

Sounds like a win to me.

lissla lissar said...

It was a win. If I actually chronicle what we've been doing it's going okay. It's just hard to get out of the mindset of 'Every Minute Must Be Education or We're Doing Something Wrong", even though I don't agree with it at all. Performance anxiety, kind of.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Yeah. I find it helpful to do a daily rundown. Even if it's just to Dom when he comes home or if it's in my head and never makes it to the blog.

Though sometimes it also helps my neurosis to categorize play time in terms of educational goals: learning to entertain themselves, creativity, exploring nature, etc.

lissla lissar said...

Learning not to immediately punch your brother when he bugs you. Oh, wait- that would be my boys, not your girls.

Yes, learning to entertain themselves is key to so many things. I am incredibly happy that Thomas has started playing with Duplo and drawing. Nat's been doing his own creative projects for a couple of years now, and is pretty good at getting into his own creative world. Thomas has been more of a couch potato and wanted to be entertained. It's great to see his own imaginative world starting to blossom.