Monday, September 23, 2013

Pizza! I am genius

Today I did a lot of cooking- zucchini marmalade, coffee cake, and five par-baked pizza crusts, three of which became dinner. (Me, to Geoff and the world, "I'm going to make butter chicken pizza". Geoff, "Fine". Me, "Because I'm a grownup and I can make butter chicken pizza if I want! I get to decide!"). One oil and caesar dressing with roasted peppers and zucchini and potatoes, one cheese and tomato sauce, one butter chicken. We had takeout yesterday when Alicia and Richard and their girls were here, so we have leftovers.




I think that if I can make space for it par-baked pizza crust is going to change my life. I am resigned to frozen pizza and takeout pizza but don't like either very much. Par-baked crust means all I have to do is scrounge a couple of toppings and we can have decent pizza in half an hour. It makes me happy. All you have to do is make pizza crust, preheat your oven to 450F, flatten the dough out on pieces of parchment paper into pizza-sized rounds, and bake it for four minutes. Cool it all the way down, wrap, and freeze.

In other food news Miriam is slightly underweight, and I am supposed to add cream, butter, olive oil, avocados, coconut cream etc to everything she eats to make her bigger. She got wise to me giving her spoonfuls of butter and has been refusing them. I'm thinking of condensed milk next. I had a quasi-argument with one of the ladies who comes over to play with her adopted grandchildren because she was horrified at giving the kids straight fat. She isn't deeply happy about our normal diet anyway, and I was sticking to my guns and saying pediatric nutritionist a lot. It's so hard to move out of the mindset that fat in food is wrong or evil or destructive. It's not! We die without enough fat! And children, especially small, low-appetite children, need to make every mouthful count.

So I just made a sort of milk-enriching instant breakfast mix to stick in her milk. Or her cream. It's instant chocolate pudding, some sugar, and a lot of powdered milk. She seems happy about it, and I'll put more butter and peanut butter on her toast, and cheese in her eggs, and she'll plump up like a little Christmas goose.

5 comments:

Steph said...

Have you tried mixing nut butter with butter and a tiny bit of honey, and stirring it until creamy? It's just like icing or storebought pudding, and takes seconds to make.

Does she like bacon? Straight up egg yolks?

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Oh yeah. I've run into that generation gap with my dad. He gives the kids breakfast bars and when I complain he tells me they're healthy because they are low fat. I tell him my complain is the high fructose corn syrup. Strangely sugar is not on his radar as something one wants to limit intake of for kids but fat is?

I'm amused by your par baked pizza crusts. The amount you have pictured there-- that's how much my family eats at dinner the night I make pizzas. I'd have to make a double batch to have some to freeze too. We've recently had to start ordering two pizzas when we get delivery. It's one food all the kids will eat now that Sophie has got over her brief hangup of only eating my homemeade pizza.

lissla lissar said...

I also provided crummy storebought chicken nuggets and Geoff and I ate the pizza. The kids ate the nuggets. It was a little depressing, especially when Nat said dolefully, "I like it better when the pizza man bring pizza." :) I think it's because he likes the garlic bread.

That was approximately a double batch of pizza dough, and it made five crusts. Twelve cups of flour. I'm thinking next time I do it I'll clear a chunk of time and do at least a quadruple batch. Our consumption is probably less that yours because one of my kids doesn't like pizza much (Nat) and two others are very tiny (the girls). Just wait a couple of years and I'll be making truckloads of it for dinner...

Steph, she likes chewing on bacon, but I'm not sure how much she gets out of it. I could make pudding with cream, or stir peanut butter and condensed milk together and put it on crackers. Or do homemade Larabars. I had a good conversation with the nutritionist, and she told me what they'd do for seriously underweight toddlers, which was load up the calories on every single bite they put in their mouths. There are specialized supplements but I'd probably just use lots of oil and fat.

I wonder if Miriam would eat fried bread?

The older lady is somewhat concerned with being thin, and not overeating, plus she really thinks that eating as much salad/fruit/green stuff generally as possible is the best diet. It isn't for children, especially VERY ACTIVE kids like mine. They need vegetables (when I can trick them into eating them), but they also need quite a lot of fat and protein. I don't think I'm going to convince her but it doesn't really matter.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how your kids would feel about the tomatoes in this, but I made this one-pan pasta last night (http://www.lottieanddoof.com/2013/06/one-pan-pasta/), and it takes about 15 min. Brilliant.

-taxi

Steph said...

Yes. It's sometimes difficult to explain the different thinking of this generation to that of the last generation - the views can be so opposite. My grandmother was convinced a steady diet of margarine, and skim milk was healthy. We have also been told we are immensely cruel for *only* giving our 4 year old cheesecake and ice cream to eat after his restaurant meal, and not the brightly coloured, artificially flavoured lollipops the waiter dropped on our table. And we are terrible people because we didn't want to introduce him to candy when he was 18 months old. It's not fair, you know, because everyone else should get to curry favor with our kids by giving them limitless quantities of everything we wouldn't eat ourselves. We are terribly selfish.

Didn't mention it last time, but neat idea with the pizza crusts, Kyra.