Friday, September 20, 2013

Seven Quick Takes: Unexpected Norse Mythology

1. Nat is really upset at the kid who lamed one of Thor's goats. You know, until this morning I didn't even know that Thor had a magical chariot pulled by goats he ate every night and then resurrected every morning. Nat is really annoyed and intends to teach the kid a lesson.

Norse mythology is weird. I think we got to looking it up on wikipedia from talking about Marvel comics and how people acquire super powers, which Nat desperately wants. I think we should look for a book on Norse mythology so I can be weirded out by it.

2. I'm going to pick up a couple of books today or tomorrow: The New Way it Works, and The History of the World (thank you for all the recommendations for The New Way!). I've been looking for a book on how machines and mechanical principles work. It's not one of my areas of specialty. The other book is for history read-alouds, because we're still doing mostly science reading.

3. I am pondering Calah's post about throwing out all the toys. I think I could throw out everything but the stuffed animals and legos, and I could seriously cull the legos.

4. The girls had their neo-natal follow up at the hospital, and they're doing great but Miriam is really really thin. I am supposed to fatten her up. It feels like a Victorian beautifying ad but I am supposed to add cream and butter and olive oil to everything. I think this is really funny. She's a kilogram lighter than Elizabeth, and her appetite is smaller. I could get one of those tubes they use for geese...

5. Geoff cleaned everything after I went to bed. The livingroom was a disaster when I went to bed, and this moring it is pristine. Thank you, darling.

6. This weekend we have a mueum trip with Nat and his friend across the street, and probably a trip to a bookstore. Sounds good.

7. I should get Thomas up and make breakfast while the girls are still staring out at the exciting garbage trucks. Elizabeth has a tiny plastic bag she's found somewhere and filled with letters from the fridge, Miriam has the Judy clock that Nat's been playing with, and they're both talking excitedly to each other about the fun trucks. Perfect.

Bonus take!: I am thinking about premade higher-protein breakfast options. I've found I am much happier if I've eaten eggs or a ham sandwich or something in the morning, and I'm going to try doing a large batch of scrambled eggs with cheese and heating them up for everyone throughout the week. We do smoothies a lot. I eat curry and pizza and things for breakfast if they're available, but I don't think they fly with anyone else. Wondering about other nearly-instant options...

3 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Don'tthe D'Aulaire's have a book of Norse mythology. Why yes, they do: http://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Norse-Myths-Ingri-dAulaire/dp/159017125X

I've been pondering throwing out the toys too. But my kids actually play with perhaps 70-80% of them. It might be worth while though trying to sort out the ones they don't really need. And maybe weeding out some of the cars and trucks. I'm still pondering. I feel like I'm missing the box top and trying to figure out the toy puzzle without all the information (to borrow a metaphor Jen Fulwiler used in a completely different context.)

lissla lissar said...

The boys pretty much only play with the legos, craft supplies (Thomas is currently covered in marker stripes, sigh) and random household objects. The girls are the ones who have started using all the bits and pieces we have. I lack the kind of patience which makes sorting everything out every night acceptable. It makes me want to scream and throw things. Because of this we have no puzzles or things that need all their parts to function.

I'm waffling about whether I ought to do a serious cull. We have so many cool building sets, unfortunately scattered (the magnetic building sets! The Wedgits!) and I know the Duplos is the only thing we have enough of to fill a bin, which means there are always enough pieces around to play with. I wonder whether it would be better to pick one other building toy and get a truckload of it, and pitch all the rest?

Stuart said...

I have a copy of 'Tales of the Norse Gods and Heroes', by Barbara Leonie Picard that you're welcome to, but I'm not sure how well it'd work for reading aloud to the kids, if that's your hope.