Monday, October 07, 2013

Daddy is Captain Kirk?

The girls are right now identifying all children under five as "Baby!" and most men as "Daddy!" Yesterday we got a little confused about whether James T. Kirk, Sherlock Holmes or Jesus were Daddy. There was some explaining, but I don't think it took. Miriam is also calling all animals "Puppy!" with great excitement.

I had a very quiet and sleep-deprived birthday which finished with Indian takeout and wine and Cynthia cleaning practically everything on the ground floor while I followed her around and talked to her. I think my contribution was wiping the stove? Anyway, she has told me that the fridge is full of cooked food (pizza, pot roast, ratatouille, rice) and I am not allowed to cook anything else until we've eaten what's already there. No problem, although I do have to bake coffee cake for Geoff's breakfasts. It was a pretty good day in spite of lack of sleep.

Thomas and Geoff got home around three and Thomas was in the tired-toddler-emotional-meltdown stage that kids get in when they've just had a nice exciting treat, like a visit to grandparents on the train. So he was full of hysterical sobbing and dissolving on the floor for the rest of the day. It sucks that I always expect them to be happy and grateful after traveling. I really need to kill that expectation.

It's raining all morning, and the boys are sleeping in. I have to decide if I'm taking them out to the drop in or staying home. Nat's had three days at home, pretty much, and Thomas has had two really exciting days, and Elizabeth has a cold, and I didn't get much sleep again... I call trying to balance all the options and make the best decision quantum. The wave form has yet to collapse in my mind.

1 comment:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

We have rain here too, but I don't have a choice. We have to get diapers and toilet paper. Especially the latter. We're down to one roll and that will not do.

So sick as I am, and sick as all the kids are, we're going to be *that* family and go infect the world.

I hope you get a little rest.