Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Random Non-Friday Quick Takes:

Miriam pretty much didn't sleep last night, which, combined with waaaay too many glasses of various beverages means my brain is broekn. See? I left in the original spelling I just came up with, because of no sleep. So, some things I don't want to forget:

1. A couple of days ago, the kids were watching a movie, and Nat looked up at me, smiled enthusiastically, and patted the couch beside him. "What is it?, Nat?"

"I just thought you'd like to come and sit beside your favourite kid!"

Geoff says that the previous day he had solemnly assured his father that "You can share your chocolate bar with me if you really want to, Daddy." So kind.

2. We spent New Year's Eve with Cynthia and Stuart. Cynth and I took the boys sledding, Stuart made homemade eggnog, and we ate Hakka takeout and drank a variety of attempts at champagne cocktails after the kids were in bed. It was a lovely evening. It would have been nicer if Miriam had not pitched fits all night, with occasional brief naps, but it was still lovely.

3. Nathaniel's latest diabetes appointment was tense, due to lack of sleep, a different endocrinologist from his usual one, and the near total disaster that was our autumn. The doctor kept asking me about specific blood sugar numbers, and I kept saying, "I'm sorry, I don't remember what happened.", and then explaining that I had bronchitis for two months, the kids were sick with bronchitis and stomach flu, and my mother was being diagnosed with Alzheimer's. The doctor asked if I wanted to see a social worker. No. I did not want to see a social worker. What I wanted was a full time maid, plus a cook and a nanny. She was asking me who was in charge of doing the meal plans and providing the food while I was very sick, and I told her it was still me, and she asked if I had an older child who had  been taking over...

I think we achieved a near-total lack of communication. Plus by the time I left I was angry and felt like a failure, which was a lovely combination. Usually our Sick Kids visits are great and supportive. This one was pretty terrible.

4. We're probably going to switch Nat over to a multi-injection schedule and change his insulin, but I need to spend a couple of days at Sick Kids doing the education, and that won't work until late January or early February, since Geoff will have to take time off work. There's a childcare centre there, but it's for kids two and a half years old or older. So no dice for the girls.


5. In completely unrelated everything, I have made the last of the Christmas leftovers into a turkey and sausage pot pie. I had to throw out quite a lot of food that got lost in the the stomach flu/ice storm/crazy Christmas time, but I have made a triumphant meal from the last of the decent leftovers, so I feel morally upright. And it's the Feast of the Holy Family, and we will feast together as a family, with the children complaining merrily about being made to eat food which contains no chicken nuggets and no ketchup.

6.
Elizabeth, unsure about the snow
7. I have half a bottle of champagne in the fridge, and it's calling to me. I am trying to resist, because it is not even three in the afternoon, and I am the only adult at home. Geoff is at the dojo, and I am alone until five or so. So no drinking. Just sitting around being quietly tired and waiting for the laundry and dishwasher to finish up, and thinking about purging my house of junk and reorganizing all the children's clothes. While shopping online for a stroller that will hold both babies so I can stop hoiking Miriam around...

No comments: