Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I love my aunt

She is here, and she is doing most of the regular work, which is great because I am sick (blarg) with a horrible sore throat and miserable congestion. So are three of my four children, who have stopped sleeping as a result. In spite of this we are having a good time, or at least I am, because she's doing all the normal work, and I am able to do what I want, which is to stock up on prepared food as though there will be a zombie  apocalypse. I am also having lots of naps.

Last night I cooked ten pounds of pork shoulder, which is now shredded, labelled, and in bags in the freezer.
I have seven four-cup containers of Bolognese sauce in the freezer. They have bacon in them.
Tomorrow or Friday I plan to cook a stewing hen and make chicken stew. I will freeze it in batches.
I did four coffee cakes yesterday for Geoff's breakfast.
I just got some vital wheat gluten (thank you for reminding me, Melanie) so that I can work on improving my Five Minute a Day Artisan bread, which is what I usually make because I am lazy and strapped for time. It tastes good, but the gluten formation is kind of sad and droopy.

So, we will not starve for a very long time, and also I will probably not be able to work up an excuse for takeout for months.


While Geoff and I were out doing a Costco run a couple of weeks ago, I said, (having spent too much time recently reading Marilynne Robinson)(and having just been talking about the polarization and polemics in politics. Pthibbit), "So, doesn't democracy presuppose the intelligence and good will of your countrymen? Doesn't it require that you believe that everyone in your country, more or less, disagrees with you (or agrees with you) for more or less good reasons, and not because they're evil and stupid? So, if that doesn't seem to be happening any more, if people generally think those who oppose them do so because they're evil and stupid, do you actually have democracy anymore?"

I promised him I'd preserve the thought. Also yes, we both talk like that in real life.

1 comment:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I couldn't believe the structure I got with my sourdough bread. And it really didn't take much more time to stir up and shape than the 5 minute a day stuff. I mixed it up while I was cooking dinner and left it in a bowl on the counter overnight. I formed it into a loaf in the morning and baked it. And the crust and crumb were far superior to anything I've made with commercial yeast. Holy cow, it's amazing. I just wonder if I'll be able to keep the starter alive over the summer. Right now I'm feeding it every other day or so and I can get away with that because our house is so cold. I might have to refrigerate some as a backup plan when the weather gets nice.

And I agree with you about the democracy thing.