Friday, March 07, 2014

Seven Quick Takes Nat Was Up All Night Edition

1. Nat was up off and on until two. The girls started waking me at four. This will not be a day full of being smart and having concentration.

2. Yesterday Nat was asking about whether blood is composed of cells, and I realized that though we've thoroughly covered digestion we haven't done much about the circulatory system and practically nothing about the nervous system. I am all ashamed. He's six! I am an educational failure! It is something to look forward to, though- I'm picturing a really low-tech experiment with salt, lemon juice, sugar, some cotton swabs, and mapping tastebuds.

3. Today Miriam was pointing at the crucifix in our bedroom and gesturing urgently to be allowed to hug the figure of Christ, because she thought he looked sad. She was very put out that I wouldn't bring it down, but switched to quite urgently wanting to give him the large stuffed Winnie the Pooh she has, to make Jesus happy. It was adorable.

4. Geoff made Nathaniel's whole life by providing this for our Friday Lent dinner. Sadly, after experimenting Nat has discovered that he doesn't like fish fingers dipped in custard, although he likes both separately.

5. It went above freezing today. I celebrated by unsealing the back door and pretending it was spring.

See how springlike it is outside?

5. We are right now trying to get the kids to bed early because of the time change tomorrow night (which I hate). The boys are not impressed. I think they'll be even less impressed when I get them up early tomorrow and Sunday. The girls have been waking up at about four or four-thirty and nursing back to sleep. Tomorrow, if I can stand it, I will just get them up. By Sunday it will be waking up at five or five-thirty, which is ungodly, but it might help break them of the nursing and improve their sleep. Plus Geoff and the babysitter will be here in the morning, and I can probably go back to bed at nine.

6. There was a Facebook thing about dystopian music, and now I have this stuck in my head: 

7. Tomorrow I can eat meat. I am always surprised by how compelling that is, every Lent. We eat a fair number of meatless meals, but the restriction always makes me really aware of my attachment to variety of choice. I don't necessarily want to eat meat on Friday, but the tiny, tiny amount of deprivation of control over my choices, and the tiny, miniscule amount of self-control required, really highlight why I am not in a Cistercian convent or something.


Bonus #8- Thomas left a chair in the kitchen on the counter on Monday morning, and when Geoff got down from showering we found this. Sorry it's blurry. That is butter plus toddlers. Thank God they didn't get up and reach the knives, but still. Argh.
Anyway, I have to go throw the boys back in bed again without killing any of them. Not any. And hope to go to bed very soon, to sleep for at least a few hours at a time. Blargh and goodnight..


ETA: Hey, if you're dropping by, and can think of ANYTHING reasonable to say, do drop me a comment. I continue to feel slightly lonely over in this corner of the internet.


9 comments:

GT said...

Still love reading this. Can't believe how big the kids are getting.

Megan C. said...

Sorry to hear about the continuing trails with sleep deprivation, here's hoping government manipulation of everybody's schedules actually helps you out. We aren't doing daylight savings in Bahia - two years ago they announced we were, a couple weeks before the date, though Bahia hadn't in seven years. Then last year they said around the same time that we weren't again. So I'm pretty sure our clocks won't change, but if they do and we're late, it's Bahia, everybody's late everywhere anyway.

Honestly hadn't thought of doing taste bud experiments with the boys. Might be a good distraction in the kitchen from their obsession with climbing the fridge.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

1. That stinks. Hope you get some sleep tonight.

2. You make me realize how thoroughly I've neglected human anatomy and physiology. Maybe I need to rectify that. I'm not sure Bella knows what cells are much less that blood is made from them. Or what a circulatory or digestive system are. I think I need a good book for this one. I've really neglected science this year. I barely covered enough last year but adding an extra kid and then having a kindergartner in addition to my second grader has got science shoved into the corner. But we correctly identified a chickadee that landed on our sunflowers today, so I guess we're not doing too, too badly.

3. That is adorable.

4. That is awesome.

5. I despise the time change. And we've committed to going to Mass at the Daughters of St Paul convent chapel, which will entail getting out of the door earlier than usual. Oh what was I thinking?

7. I had a moment in the grocery store today when the kids were munching their free cookies from the bakery. I'd piously given them each one and not taken one for myself. As I watched Sophie and Anthony and Ben slowly nibble theirs, I thought oh I wish I wanted Jesus half as much as I want that cookie right now. It's sad, but I don't.

And on Wednesday I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I was really truly hungry with an ache in my belly. I'm so used to grazing all day long. I even mindlessly popped a handful of peanuts when I meant to be fasting just because they were there, not because I was hungry yet as this was only an hour after lunch. Ugh. No wonder I weigh almost as much as I did right before Lucia was born. I don't want to treat Lent as a diet, but I'm realizing that I have no self control.

8. Oh dear. Oh deary dear. SO glad they didn't get the knives. I turned my back this afternoon while loading the dishwasher and Lucy had a steak knife in her hand and was waving it about.

lissla lissar said...

Melanie, we have thoroughly neglected history and art, and your family is awesome at it. The anatomy and physiology- the whole science bent- is an outgrowth of Nat's fascination with it. We do literature and myths, but I haven't been able to interest him much in history except by plugging it into science. Plus the diabetes means Nat is unusually aware of how his body works. He's been listening to blood glucose numbers and the nutritional components of food since he was born.

It's interesting what subjects families tend towards, what their kids end up absorbing. My friend Alicia said meditatively, "Our children have no choice. They're all going to be geeks."

And the babies are up and my internet time is over...

Bek said...

Fish fingers and custard for the win! :) Nice to "meet" you, Lissla :) Good luck with the sleeping thing this weekend!

Bek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie Bettinelli said...

It's true, our kids are very much the product of their environments. I do want to strive to help them be fairly well-rounded, though. Which means occasionally I need to take the pulse of our science endeavors to make sure it's not dead in the water.

I think I'm going to try to do a lot of science as history of science as Bella gets older. Sort of the other way round; but same basic idea.

lissla lissar said...

And I'm doing history as science :) Yeah, it's fascinating and scary to see how the kids are reflecting back our interests plus their own. We're interested in books and science fiction and theology and science, and so are they, plus an overwhelming desire to make things (Nat), and snuggle and explore and be empathic (Thomas). I keep mentally contrasting my childhood experience (elderly parents, only child) with my children's, and marvelling at the differences. And wondering what they'll remember and hold on to.

Bek, welcome! And thanks- last night was better, except that my six year old was watching Love and Monsters and became unexpectedly terrified of the absorbing creature and was up until nine-thirty.

lissla lissar said...

Dora, hi! Sorry I missed greeting you. Yeah, the Tiny Ninja Chef is almost four feet tall, fast as lightning, and able to rearrange the icons on the desktop and make his own bed. It's crazy.