Saturday, March 01, 2014

The Wood Between the Worlds

I re-started reading The Magician's Nephew to Nat (and Thomas, and girls, who weren't really paying attention) this evening at bed time. Timing was right- last time, he wasn't much interested. This time, after Polly disappeared, and Digory was left with Uncle Andrew, and I said it was time for bed- this time, there was vociferous protest. Because we don't know what happens, and he's worried about the characters.



Tomorrow we'll learn about the Wood Between the Worlds. I have been waiting for over six years for this. I am so grateful that even my completely computer-obssessed engineer scientist little boy loves books, and that he loves Narnia. When we've finished this one I'm going to try again with The Hobbit. I think probably the most emotionally emotional and sentimental moment I'm going to have reading to them is when they're finally old enough for The Lord of the Rings.

Just occurred to me that our babysitter hasn't read it. Now I want to pin her down and read it to her. I wonder if she's read Narnia?...

3 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I'm kind of sad that Dom's getting to do The Hobbit. I mean, I can't really begrudge him. I got to do Narnia and all. But I miss going on that journey.

lissla lissar said...

We read the first few pages of the The Hobbit, but I think I was pushing. What I want, and wasn't getting, was Nat's reaction to last night's reading- "Nooo! Don't stop! Keep reading!"- that proves we're at the right age for a book.

Today, to find out what happens to Uncle Andrew after Queen Jadis arrives in London.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

"What I want, and wasn't getting, was Nat's reaction to last night's reading- "Nooo! Don't stop! Keep reading!"- that proves we're at the right age for a book."

Oh yes, that is the perfect test for the book being the right fit, isn't it. Today there are several they don't want to stop. Arabian Nights Sophie and Ben and Bella are all hanging on. Bella is also in love with The Light Princess and If All the Swords in England.