Monday, April 14, 2014

Day in the life

Trying to pull together an overview of a regular day from disjointed bits and pieces. Let's see how it goes.

11pm- Nat is having blood sugar problems, nightmares and night screaming because of being too high. Test him and decide not to give him more insulin because his Lantus should keep him stable overnight.

11:15- Geoff goes to sleep with Nat and try to settle him.

12:30- wake up and go wake Geoff to come back to our bed.

2:30- Go in to the girls and resettle Elizabeth. Back to bed.

5:30- Girls and Geoff are up. I take the girls down, get them juice and cookies, and put on Toy Story to keep them mostly quit until the boys get up. Sit on couch with both toddlers on my lap.

6:00- Geoff comes downstairs and says hello to the girls before leaving at 6:10.

6:30- Put on kettle and try to unload dishwasher. Girls help with it. Rewash a few of the dishes they've helped with.

6:35- Get roped into reading a board book I hate. Five times in a row.

6:40- Try to remember if I put the kettle on.

6:45- Make tea and ignore plaintive screaming to drink from my cup. It's too hot.

6:50- Wonder if I should feed the girls something other than arrowroot biscuits.

7:00-  Hear Nat on the stairs. Say good morning to him and his stuffed frog. Girls have gotten out their cooking toys and Nat settles on the chair to watch the end of Toy Story.

7:15- Try to argue Nat into checking his blood sugar. Fail. Decide breakfast won't be until Thomas wakes up. Read another four board books to the girls. Change their diapers.

Watch everyone putter around while I check blogs and Facebook and try to decide if I should start the laundry now or wait until later.


8:30- Check Nat's blood sugar, try to figure out how many helpings of cereal he wants this morning, get his breakfast and everyone else's breakfast ready. Give Nat his injection, fetch milk, clean up milk, listen to girl tantrum about breakfast. Clean up, get more milk, get juice, eat bite of my granola, find girl at my knees begging for my granola. Give up and feed it to her. Hear strange voice from under the table. It's Nat, reading aloud from a board book. I guess he's done, then?

8:45- Clean up after breakfast and start shouting at the boys to get dressed. They start playing lego. Succeed in getting the dishes into the kitchen and piled before I have to go change a diaper and break up a fight over lego pieces.



9:00- Put on video and hope the girls don't die while I shower. They can open doors and get out of cribs. I just shower fast and hope everyone is still alive when I get out.



9:15- Out of shower and everyone is still alive. Answer Nat about whether Narnia is a real place by telling him I am going to Narnia when I die. Get into thorny conversation about how he doesn't ever want to die because there might not be Minecraft in Heaven.

9:30- Notice Miriam has a huge scratch on her face. Worry about how she got it while I was showering. Hug Thomas, who is part lap-cat and always wants to be hugged. Worry some more. Break up fight. Tell Thomas his drawing is very blue and it's a nice TARDIS.

10:00- Start dinner while the kids draw. Put on a story (internet audio book) while I cook and despair at the thought of four loads of laundry that need to be sorted, folded, and put away. Think about how I need to organize the entire pantry. Don't try. Call the bank on my parents' behalf, get phone call about children's appointments.

11:00- Dinner is made and in the fridge. Good. Laundry started in the machine but not sorted or folded because toddler help with laundry makes me want to die. Resolve to look over Nat's glucose monitor records and email his nurse about a sudden morning insulin resistance.

11:30- Wonder why I don't put all the children in boarding school. Look at the paper and crayons all over the floor and think about how I mopped it yesterday. Try not to die.

11:45- Start lunch, while putting the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher. Answer objections about how no one wants that for lunch. Nat stomps off. He doesn't want leftovers, peanut butter on bread, or cheese on crackers. He wants something impossible. Ignore him.

12:00 Remind Nat to wash his hands and do his blood sugar check. Calculate his dose while getting everyone milk, bread, butter, crackers, cucumber, juice, cold noodles (for Thomas), lefotvers (for me, which I eat standing up for a while).

12:05- Sit down to eat after giving Nat his injection. Girls both climb on my lap and start to eat my lunch. Give up. Leave them to it and go get a piece of bread in the kitchen.


Okay. It has taken me two days to get this far. I'll continue it sometime when I have more energy, like maybe in a week.

7 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Oh my. I think our life is crazy, but yours is just exponentially more.

I've given up on laundry. Putting it away and folding it. Nope. Not happening. I've admitted defeat.

lissla lissar said...

It actually does fill me with despair. Geoff and I tried yesterday with him folding and me putting away, and it worked a little better than me leaving it in baskets and wailing.

I think the twins' special-ish diet plus the diabetes makes all the meal times especially crazy. I'm trying to get the boys to help more but sometimes it just creates more mess.

Anonymous said...

No matter how stressful work gets - and it's been bad for the last couple weeks - it doesn't come close to screaming toddlers and special diets and insulin and lack of sleep. I don't know how you do it. I only get through because I know I have a quiet and organized house to go home to. Without that, I would be there with you in despair. And likely headed for a nervous breakdown. Hope you can get some help.
-taxi

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I just bought a basket for each kid and toss the clothes directly into them from the dryer, no folding or anything. I can unload the dryer in a couple of minutes.

The idea was initially that the kids would put away their own clothes, even the two year old could stuff unfolded clothes into the bin in his room and bring back the basket to the laundry room. But at about the time lucy was born I gave up on even trying to make them take the clothes to their rooms. they just live in the laundry room. It's messy, but everyone can find stuff to wear more or less.

Right now my biggest obstacle to getting them to put stuff away in their rooms is the need to go through their clothes and discard stuff that's too small and not seasonal or not worn because not liked. But that task gives me such angst because I don't know where the clothes go after they are removed from circulation. Do I save them for the possibility of another kids? If so, then how the heck do I store them? Do I donate them. I have a whole basket in my laundry room of mismatched clothes, things that need repair but I'll probably never get to. Stuff that I can't quite bring myself to throw int he trash but I can't donate because it's not in good enough condition. I hate not laundering the stuff we are currently using but dealing with the afterlife of clothes. It's that which gives me angst and makes me want to die.

lissla lissar said...

I completely feel your angst. I got so sick of all the boxes and bags I started donating everything. I am okay with rebuying if we have another baby. Most of the boys' clothes aren't worth saving, and the girls have SO MUCH. My kids dress exclusively in hand me downs and thrift store stuff anyway, so I figure the forty dollars' investment in 'new' clothes is less than my unhappiness at having the basement filled.

Our washer and dryer are in the scary basement, but I might be able to sort from the dryer into the laundry bags if I rearrange the basement a little...

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Maybe if I had a good thrift store nearby, I'd feel less anxious about clothes. Right now I don't know of one where I could get a season's wardrobe for $40. I have to beg for handme downs and I hate begging. SO I guess it comes down to pride and fear. Still, I'm thinking about just donating stuff. Especially the boy stuff. At this point if we do have another boy, he'll be more than four years younger than Anthony. I'm not sure I want to commit to saving stuff that long.

I don't know what I'd do if the laundry were in a scary basement instead of the carpeted pantry just off the kitchen. I'm kind of spoiled.

lissla lissar said...

I do laundry while listening for screaming and bloodshed upstairs. It means I have trouble sorting because I am always poised to sprint back up and rescue someone.

I need to sort and discard, and I don't want to, because I get nervous about what we're going to NEED, and whether it's right to give things away when we might NEED them...

We're lucky to have have bags of hand me downs for the girls, and we've had lots for the boys, plus two thrift stores about seven or eight blocks away. They're the main source of clothes for both the kids and for me. Geoff needs to buy new, because he's so very, very tall. Very tall. Okay, 6"4, but there's not a lot of thrift store clothes in size extremely long.