Thursday, April 17, 2014

I have achieved yogurt!

I haven't made yogurt in years.
That's butterfat on top. I used mostly half and half with about a cup of added whipping cream, and a cup of powdered milk. It made really creamy and thick yogurt. Not very tart. I've got about eight or ten cups of it in the fridge, chilling. I mixed half a cup of sugar and a lot of vanilla extract in, and I'll try the kids on the (probably) 15% yogurt when everyone gets up. This might be a bit of a hassle, making it, but it's $1.99 per litre of half and half, versus $10 for an equivalent amount of high fat yogurt from the store. My children can eat that much in one sitting.

Next time I'm making more.

2 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Cool! That ought to fatten them up. I'm going to try the crockpot method next time.

lissla lissar said...

I boiled the milk in a pot and then let it cool and transferred, but i think next time I'll boil it in the crockpot. I am lazy and I was just nervous about the milk not cooling in time, but I think if I boil it in the afternoon it'll be cool enough to stir in the yogurt by bed time. I made about eight cups. Next time I'm doing more, and maybe straining it for Greek yogurt.

Huge success. It's really yummy and creamy. I'm wondering if I can sub it for sour cream in things if I don't sweeten it- I don't usually, because yogurt's usually more tart than sour cream, but this isn't.