Friday, April 18, 2014

I tried

I tried to stay offline for Good Friday, since I didn't manage it much during Lent, but Geoff was gone all day from twelve on, and won't be back until tomorrow afternoon, and I'm tired, and it's rainy so the kids couldn't go outside... so I didn't. Our church's Good Friday stuff was smack in the middle of nap time, too, so we didn't make that. I have been a tired and emotionally absent mum today, but we did read the Passion narrative out loud, and Nat drew several pictures about how he felt about it.

I think it's the first time Thomas and Nathaniel have heard most of the story and paid attention.

I also found a live action Stations of the Cross for children, and we watched it, and I (and very occasionally Nat and Thomas) prayed along.

Yesterday on the way to the store I was telling the kids the story of the Last Supper, and said that Judas betrayed Jesus, and Nat asked what betrayed meant. I thought for a moment, and said, "When Edmund goes to the White Witch"... Nat really got it. He was very upset about Edmund, and he is starting to understand some of the emotions in the Gospel. Geoff and I had an interesting conversation about how literature provides moral framing- I think that's one of the most important parts of it.

Heigh ho. I'm waiting for the girls to quiet down, and then I'm going to unload and reload the dishwasher, sneer at the disaster of a livingroom floor, and pour a small glass of wine. I know it's Good Friday, and I've fasted, and I am also ALONE WITH ALL CHILDREN. So I will have a very moderate amount of alcohol and go to bed before nine.

6 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I'm sorry.

Good job on the passion narrative and stations. It's hard when they're too young to really get it.

We took the kids to the Good Friday Passion but they were all crazy. Being at church at an unusual time was too much, I guess. Lucy screamed and Dom had to take her out in the middle of the Gospel. He missed everything else.

Anthony and Ben, who have been really good at Mass of late, were climbing the pews, jumping off them, climbing over each other, laughing and punching each other. All in the front pew where everyone could see them.

I managed to fast until dinner. No breakfast and only half a grilled cheese for lunch. Then we ordered pizza for dinner. I'd have gone with fish, but Dom really just wanted pizza and he was hungry and cranky, so I went with it. I gorged myself on pizza and then had two hot cross buns. And then at about 10 pm another hot cross bun.

lissla lissar said...

That's about why I didn't take our kids. Geoff wasn't here till after lunch on Saturday, and our church's Good Friday stuff was right in the centre of nap time. Wasn't going to happen. You were brave to do it with your kids. It's a long story, and not a lot happening to engage small boys.

I got them to sit for the Passion by giving them each a bowl full of strawberries. It worked pretty well.

I resisted chocolate yesterday, but probably ate too many delicious nachos at dinner time. We had noodle soup, which really isn't filling for me and Geoff, but the kids like, for lunch. It seemed fasting-ish. Because i was starving in half an hour...

MMB said...

Yep, I get staying home. Tried to take the kiddos to church smack in the middle of naptime/restime and was really, really sorry I did! :( I even strategized and had Isaiah nap earlier in the day, but he awoke disgruntled and only got more so when we got to church. I left 20 minutes after I got there, a little more than mildly humiliated. Off to Paschal Liturgy in an hour alone with all four... Pray for this insane woman! ;)

lissla lissar said...

Lord have mercy on Meredith! Christ have mercy on Meredith! And on all crazy Eastern Orthodox people who take their children to Paschal liturgy in the middle of the night!

It is six, and three of my children are up and looking for their chocolate. I need tea, and I'm grateful I didn't try Easter Vigil last night.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

In my experience the middle of the night vigil celebrations are much easier than the ones that start at bedtime. Midnight Mass actually allowed our kids to get a nap before we had to leave. Easter vigil starts just as they want to go to bed. That's insanity.

lissla lissar said...

I just can't imagine taking the children to a Midnight Mass, but I think that's because we don't have a car. Taking the bus with little ones in the middle of the night... ugh.

I think my kids ate nothing of any nutritional value today. Tomorrow, whole grain homemade bread and vegetables!