Friday, April 11, 2014

Seven Quick Takes- could be long

1. The creme fraiche didn't work. I think I didn't add enough yogurt and mix it enough. I'm going to try it again, and I'm going to try making high-fat yogurt in the crockpot, too. Sometime this coming week, I hope. Nat is adamant that yogurt is something you BUY, just like bread is something you MAKE but SHOULD buy, because sandwich bread is better. Poor suffering lamb.

2. Nat had his clinic on Monday, and Geoff's dad and stepmom came in to help wrangle the kids. It went very well- Nat's doing great overall, and his blood sugar is pretty under control. Or more realisitically, when it isn't, we know why, which is a relief. Geoff's Dad had Angry Birds on his iPhone. This helped ensure Nat's general cooperation and relative good behaviour.


3. We've had a lot of outside time, which is a huge relief. We've been in back yard every day, and out to a playground.
Nat failed to traumatize any of the kids we met, and there were a number of exciting games of chase. The girls discovered that they are now too big to both go in one swing, and were sad. I think they're recovering emotionally because they've found out again that throwing sand is one of the greatest joys in life. We're going to work on that.


4. Geoff's gone all Sunday. I'm trying to figure out if I can take all the children anywhere for Palm Sunday and survive. All of the kids simultaneously trying to run away or screaming + me will probably equal nervous breakdown. I am still thinking about it. 

5. I'd like to do a day in the life sort of post, but I am getting almost no computer time- during the day either I am interrupted every twenty seconds or the boys are on the computer. Nat and Thomas dominate computer time the whole of post-lunch-till-dinner, and it's really hard to find time to post. All the children are in the back yard right now, while I write this, and I have gotten up no less than thirty times in the twenty minutes it's taken, to get cookies and arbitrate and reassure Miriam that outside is okay and help children with boots. I have a lot of things I'm working through- I have an underlying grief about my parents' condition that is in the background of my awareness all the time, and I am simultaneously working on managing everyone else (diabetes! Girls need fattening! Must pay more attention to trying to get Thomas educated! The laundry never stops! Why is Nat screaming this time?!), and while I feel like stealing off somewhere and thinking and being quiet, I have almost no opportunity to do it.

6. I looked over my educational goals for this year and was very surprised to find we've achieved most of them. It feels like this year has been a total wash in terms of constant illness and houseboundness and general disaster, but both the guys are actually ahead of where I wanted them. Okay, Thomas doesn't know all his letters yet, but he's not even in JK, and we're working on it, plus now he can count and do colours, and Nat is educationally ahead or where I wanted him by summer. This inspires a strong desire to start panning for next year. I assume we're homeschooling them next year because, well, we haven't registered them for public school or boarding school or anything. So maybe I'll start looking for fun things to do, and plan this New School Year to start in the summer? I don't think we'll cease our rigourous academics (five minutes a day! Plus reading aloud!) since it isn't a strain for anyone.

6. I took down Elizabeth and Miriam's cribs today. This is why:

That's Elizabeth sleeping in the glider. That was yesterday morning. This morning she was sleeping in it face-down with her legs off at a ninety-degree angle. They have graduated to big girl mattresses on the floor and the pathetic hope that they will stay in them. Pray for us.

1 comment:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I did pray for you at adoration today. I actually got to kneel for five minutes or so at our homeschoolers Lenten retreat! Most of it with Anthony draped over my calves.

And Ben and Anthony both genuflected. I now believe in Eucharistic miracles.

I think you have the same rocker as I do.

Next time I make yogurt I'm just going to do it in the crockpot. No messing around with jars.