Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Conversations

Yesterday Nat told me sadly that he needed to go to school. When I asked him why, he said, "Because I need to learn everything there is to know!", which is a very Nathaniel position. Not "Learn some things", "Build some things", but "Learn everything! Do everything!".

I said, "Nat, you know a lot more than many kids your age, and you learned it at home."

"But school is for learning!" (This is a sign that maybe I should be cutting down on the Magic School Bus and Dora School-is-fun indoctrination programs?).

"Nat, most kids your age (he'd be finishing up senior kindergarten) wouldn't know how to read a whole book by themselves. And most six-year-olds don't know how to do skip counting and about how the digestive system works, and what the parts of a cell are, and what metaphor is."

"Oh. Okay."

So I guess we're staying home, still, because we haven't made chocolate or played with electrical circuits or made dandelion pancakes or learned geometry yet. Because we need to do those things, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dandelion pancakes??? I just had to google some recipes and then emailed a weed-appreciating friend to say "We have to make dandelion pancakes!!"
-taxi