Monday, May 05, 2014

Ow. Sore

I went back to belly dance class yesterday. The last time I went was last year, and before that maybe two years. It's been a long time. I jumped back in at the deep end, doing a near-performance level technique class. The result is that the mean teacher made me plank for several minutes, and also my hips are sore. And confused.

I want to give some idea of the level of difficulty.

So, one of the basic movements is the horizontal figure eight, which is standing straight, and using your hips to trace a continuous figure eight.


That's okay, but she leaves out a transition move. Okay, you're doing that, and then you start to undulate while you're doing it, while walking.



This I am okay with. And then, when you're doing all three of those things at the same time, you start doing a three quarter shimmy.



I was having some trouble with that. I could either do the walking forward figure eight with undulation or do an undulation with a shimmy walk, but not all at the same time. It was exhilarating. I need to be able to do all of those things unthinkingly before I can layer them. This will take more work.

Oh, here's an embarrassing video of me doing the elements and then trying to combine them. My undulations are better than I thought they were. Good.

No comments: