Tuesday, June 03, 2014

New jewellery

My industrial stainless steel necklace finally broke about six months ago, and I've missed it. I bought a couple of scoop-necked dresses on Saturday, got fidgety, and decided I wanted a necklace again. I have lots in the basement, but Nathaniel is weirdly afraid of or worried about beads, so I respected his discomfort and made this:

Skeptical face

Still nearly unbreakable

Looks lacier on the table
Through a combination of miracle, TV distraction, and shouting at everyone to leave me alone I got it finished in one day, in odd bits of time. It's Japanese four in one chain mail, using two different sizes of links. I think it's all steel but the larger links might be plated copper. It's not too overboard, comfortable, and pretty durable. Plus, I actually got to make something that wasn't food. Most of my creative impulses go by the wayside these days because of how hard it is to make things with little children helping. I miss making non-food things, and I hope I'll be able to actually sew things in the next six months. Necklaces are a fine start.

3 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Pretty.

lissla lissar said...

Thank you! I love it. My old one was tougher, but I love having something to wear again.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I felt so bereft when my necklace was broken. It took more than a year to get around to having the clasp fixed, though. Little hands are so hard on necklaces.