Monday, August 04, 2014

Newish books

I went thrift shopping yesterday. Nat needed some new pants, and I was hoping for a children's dictionary. I struck gold.
Nat and I just read about half of Once Upon a Poem. It's got beautiful illustrations, and there were some new poems (The Ride of Paul Revere, some Hillaire Belloc, The Cremation of Sam McGee) and some old favourites (The Owl and the Pussycat, Wynken, Blynken, and Nod). We're really enjoying it.


I actually got two dictionaries. This is the simpler one, and Nat is flipping through it right now, just before going to bed. Perfect. I want to encourage his natural desire to look up everything he doesn't know.
I have a weakness for fairy tale books, and I remember C. S. Lewis recommending Arthur Rackham's illustration. I look forward to reading this aloud, maybe tomorrow.

2 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Oooh gold indeed! I keep thinking I need to get a children's dictionary and then not following through. I love Arthur Rackham's illustrations. I did a report on Victorian illustrators of children's books when I was in high school. Good stuff.

lissla lissar said...

I should take pictures of the inside of the poetry book. It's really lovely. I'm in a prepare-for-homeschooling book binge right now, and it's not a bad thing so long as I mostly stick to the thrift store.