Sunday, September 21, 2014

Guilt Free Learning Notes

Sept 15- Girls got up at six. I made coffee cake and fed the various children homemade yogurt and cereal, and after most people had eaten Miriam requested some A. A. Milne poetry, so we read the one about the bears and The Four Friends and the poem about looking for rabbits. Nat's blood sugar was mysteriously 2.9 (which is very bad, very dangerous) and I am confused about it and hoping for an okay day. Sometimes morning lows or highs wreck the rest of the day. 
Child in bin of books

Watched a video about Fibonacci spirals in nature, with very very fast narration, and then went out to run errands and buy more syringe tip things for Nat. Saw flowers with spirals in them on our trip. We got home and read The Golem's Latkes, which lead to watching a video of a an Orthodox Jewish band singing at a Bar Mitvah, which lead to part of a a really odd animated video about the Macabees and Hannukah. I think we should revisit this later. Maybe near Christmas/Hannukah we could talk about the festival and connect it with Christmas? 

Went to the homeschool drop in during the afternoon and watched the boys run around frantically with a bunch of other children while I chatted with parents, and in the evening Nat watched Horrible Histories with Jocelyn while Geoff and I went to speak to my parents.


Sept 16- Watched a video of a bizzare marine animal, then heard Nat humming and asked him what the melody was. Sounded like Mission Impossible so I found the theme and played it, and Nat said, "Hey! That's the Lorax's song!", so I explained that they borrowed the Mission Impossible theme and used it. 
Raindrops on a spider's web

We went off to the farmer's market and on the way collected acorns, which my children think are magical because of My Neighbour Totoro, and wondered why honeybees die of they sting. We looked it up and it appears that to free themselves from their stringers honeybees basically rips themselves in half. Ugh. Seems like poor planning, but I guess insects function not by survival instinct but by sheer force of numbers. Listened to the soundtrack from O Brother, Where Art Thou? while we ate cider doughnuts for lunch and experienced minimal kid complaining about the music. I was exhausted and ran videos all afternoon, which is a typical farmer's market day. Even the museum tires me less.

Still, I read to Nat about the Assyrians in the evening and watched the TMBG song about the Mesopotamians (which all the children fell in love with and which I now have as an earworm) and watched a Horrible Histories about Neanderthals and looked up the Lauscaux cave paintings, so that was pretty cool. 

Sept 17- a nightmare day of making phone calls about a retirement home for my parents, running videos for the children, and ultimately having a huge fight and breakdown. We just watched tv all day while I cried, basically. In the evening Nat and I managed to read The Story of the World about Gilgamesh, which puts us up and ready to start reading about India.

Sept 18- Spent the whole day flat with depression and more phone calls, miserable with worry about my parents. Waited for the cloud to lift and cried and occasionally put laundry away. Did read The Clown of God and Love You Forever at bed time, which was like an emotional double whammy, and earlier in the day watched all the children flipping through books on their own, which was great.

Sept 19- I think we did practically nothing. I was out with my mother all morning and then on my own in the afternoon, and suddenly we had friend over in the evening. We had guests over for dinner and the children played with some friends. I understand that in my earlier absence there was an expedition to the thrift store for lego. We talked homeschool theory a bit with our friends and generally had a good time.
I went to the shoe museum. These are beautiful


Sept 20- this day was entirely dedicated to canning tomatoes. It ate the whole day. The children drifted in an out, playing elaborate games with Lego and dolls and stuffed toys, floating around the perimeter of the canning.

So, I think we had general progress this week in spite of huge emotional meltdowns. In any case all my children now know the names of Sargon and Hammurabi, which is pretty cool. And I will have They Might Be Giants stuck in my head for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are strong. You know this. I am so pleased to.see howw much you can do, despite. All thimgs happen for a reason, and I am so happy you find strength in friends & family, amd can be in touch with how you really feel ablout thimgs, as you bring me strength with your words everyday. Thank you for beong heree for me.
-S

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Oh I have so many ideas about Hannukah. Maccabeats! Matsiyahu! There's a great picture book we got from the library about little borrower-type people celebrating Hannukah in the walls of a synagogue in New York. Like Church Mice for Jews. I think Dom showed me that video of the Orthodox singers. It was lovely.