Friday, October 10, 2014

I love Rosemary Sutcliff

I am thinking that Nathaniel is old enough, or nearly, to read Warrior Scarlet. Well, to have it read to him. I love love love all of the Sutcliff books I've read, and Warrior Scarlet was the one that had me learning to spin and trying to figure out a weighted loom when I was a kid.

It's set in Bronze Age Britain, and it's the completely immersive story of a young Pict with a crippled arm who yearns to become one of the warriors of his tribe. I've also read some of her Arthurian/Roman Britain stories- The Lantern Bearers, Eagle of the Ninth, The Silver Branch, and the one about the Dark Ages and the coming of St. Augustine of Canterbury (Dawn Wind). Oh, and her telling of the story of Cu Chulain, the Irish hero.

 I think we have Black Ships Before Troy somewhere in the house, although I haven't read it yet. She and Elizabeth George Speare are probably my favourite children's historical writers.

So I just looked up her book list online and I found many books that I haven't read, and I want them all. I'm fighting my deeply ingrained desire to buy ALL THE BOOKS because having many beautiful books makes me happy, but nothing would be better than to have my children meet Arthur and the Dark Ages and Roman Britain and the Picts through Rosemary Sutcliff. And if I find them trying to grind barley in their rooms and make war spears I promise I won't be upset.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just talking to a friend with an 3rd grader about books appropriate for that age. I came up with so many that left wonderful memories. I think I'm going to go back and reread the Chronicles of Prydain myself. Even without kids, it's still fun to read kids' books, especially the ones that you have great memories of.
-taxi

lissla lissar said...

I just found the complete Chronicles of Prydain at the thrift store! In beautiful condition, too. I haven't read them, but I got them home and Geoff nearly hyperventilated with excitement. I'm looking forward to reading them, and The Dark is Rising, and all the other wonderful fantasy, aloud to the kids.