Monday, November 03, 2014

I'm not an expert.

This woman does a marvellous job of explaining, though. And she uses actual terminology, where I would say, "And then you thingy the twisty part..."

I took the boys to the fun wool store today, the one that sells spinning and weaving supplies as well as knitting and crocheting,
Thomas in sunlight

It's a pretty long trip, down to the vintage clothing/fabric/bead store area. I'm a bit traumatized to discover my first goth club is now a frozen yogurt store. Sigh.

Beautiful fabric store

Cameron House. Hard to see, but there are giant ant sculptures crawling up it

Beads and trim and mask stores

Blurry picture of the wool store. It is huge, and on two levels

Fluffy dyed sheepskins

Knitting books and magazines

Better picture, from about ten feet into the store

The unspun wool section. These are for spinning and needle felting

Nat and Thomas found a big metal scale
The customer service people (mostly women) were really nice about answering the boys' questions and helping them use the scale. It was a lot of fun.

Told him to look grumpy

Parts of looms

Finger spinning on the subway home
The purple/fuschia is silk, the tricolour is merino

Hey! I can still do it!




I think I started pulling fleece off a toy llama (made of real llama fur) when I was quite little. I found out that if you twisted them you got something like yarn. Eventually I experimented with the stuffing from pillows and made a spindle out of wax and screws, although I don't really remember how. I've done a lot of mini spinning and weaving projects, really inexpertly, because I resist being taught, but I love dabbling in the fibre arts, and I think I'm going to enjoy making probably crappy-quality yarn again, and if anyone would like to volunteer to actually knit it into anything, that would be delightful.

2 comments:

marjorie said...

Challenge accepted.

ummy

Anonymous said...

Romni! You were at Romni! I have friends who work there and it's a fantastic wool store. :-)