Sunday, November 02, 2014

Quick Incomplete Guilt Free Learning Notes

This week has been so crazy, as I've mentioned, that I haven't been keeping my normal daily notes about what we've done. Geoff' was off work most of the week, so the days have been kind of a blur of parent visiting and appointments and trips. My normal schedule is thrown off so badly that I have trouble remembering events.

Monday we worked on Nat's costume and in the afternoon went to the super fun homeschool Halloween party, which ended in an hour of running around at a nearby park, and then a tired ride home on the streetcar, talking about the origins of Halloween, and how the next day is All Saint's Day. Many people admired Nat and Thomas's costumes, and I had to prevent Thomas from trying to cuddle up to all the bus or streetcar drivers and tell them at length about Lego Batman and how he was Spiderman and would now only answer to that name.

I think Tuesday was rainy and inside, with videos of myths and legends and some random read-alouds. Frog and Toad and Owl at Home and Curious George (whom I really don't like much but the kids adore).

Wednesday was Geoff's first day home, and I took the kids on an awesome museum trip to give him time to call the government and training offices. We returned home to lunch made for us and had a quiet happy afternoon. We found a great video about using a fire drill. Nat got to try one at the museum and now I want to make one at home.



Thursday was a very busy day, with laundry and errands all morning and then taking my mother and father to the psych in the afternoon. No formal learning during the day, but at night I read Nat some stories of Anansi from Story of the World, and he seems hooked on Anansi. That's great- I don't know much about African folk tales and I'm looking forward to exploring them.

Friday I was away all morning doing the CCAC assessment with Mum, and didn't get home till afternoon, which was a fever of costume repair and finding the bits and pieces for Mim and Lilibet, and Halloween movies. Geoff had to be at Mum and Dad's for most of the afternoon because they were having their water heater repaired, so I was pretty stressed. It rained, but we still had a good time trick or treating and we still have a boatload of candy.

Saturday was exhausted and brain dead for both adults.I did a lot of cooking- a huge batch of chili and a similar quantity of granola- and Geoff fixed up the basement, and we both sort of drooped along.

So, not a huge amount educationally accomplished, but maybe more structure next week!

5 comments:

Erin said...

How cute, only answering to Spiderman:)

lissla lissar said...

Thomas specializes in being adorable. :)

Stuart Samuel said...

If you don't get a chance to make a fire drill, but still want one, let me know, and I'll put one together at work. I'm not sure my counterweight will be quite as authentic, more likely a hunk of metal, but it should work.

lissla lissar said...

I think that would be awesome. As long as Thomas doesn't hold still long enough for Nat to drill holes in him. The principle is pretty basic and also really neat.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Today Sophie asked me how to make fired without matches. I remembered that you had this video posted and so set it up for them to watch while I put Lucy down for a nap. I need to look at the videos for other methods too now.