Saturday, December 13, 2014

Guilt Free Learning Notes: We Did Some Stuff

Because life has been crazy... because life continues to be crazy, I haven't been keeping notes, and I've discovered that my brain doesn't work well for retaining a lot of what we actually did, but this past week has been pretty history and science-oriented. We went to the museum with friends
We had a really good time. We spent a lot of it in the Egypt exhibit, but we also visited our friends the dinosaurs. 
It was chaotic and great fun. We didn't make it to a whole lot of the exhibits, but since we saw the mummies and the dinosaurs, and the kids were chatting about how tooth shape showed us which animals were herbivores and which carnivores, it was very satisfying. It's fun to hear six and four year olds discussing animal physiology knowledgeably. 

We've continued to chug through Farmer Boy with Nat, and he's doing simple multiplication with Geoff, which is fun. He's also learning to play checkers and is working on Geoff's Rubik's cube. I'm thinking we might make a  few visits to Riverdale Farm in the New Year. I had to stop when we were reading about Independence Day to give Nat a very short rundown of the War of Independence, because it's not something we cover at all. I'm also thinking about making cardboard looms, like this

although I might lose my mind trying to teach them to weave. It does seem like a natural outgrowth, though.

We're reading about Advent, on and off, and the Christmas story- we read The Clown of God a couple of days ago, and we watched The Juggler of Notre Dame, which was weird but good, and Nat and Thomas talked a little bit about how the stories compare and how they differ. Oh! I've also put on A Child's Christmas in Wales, because's necessary that they internalize the poetry. I love Dylan Thomas, so they have to endure it.

Since it snowed we had many different experiments on snow, and talked about how it's ice crystals, which are frozen water, water in its solid form. We've also melted sugar and talked about different melting points. I should get out pictures of the different molecular structures of solids, liquids, and gases. The boys will be interested.

I got my old copy of Arnold Lobel's Fables from my parents' house this week. It's like Aesop's fables, and they're fantastic. We've been reading them over and over. I love Arnold Lobel, especially the Frog and Toad stories. and this collection. Such good writing, and not at all smarmy or dumbed down. I'm going to quietly disappear all the superhero books because I hate reading them. If someone put out a decent collection of superhero stories I'd buy it, but all the ones I've read it's like you can hear the underpaid writer slugging back their cheap gin or something to numb the pain. Like Alan Rickman in Galaxy Quest:

That's how I image writers of kids' superhero and franchise books.

Everyone's climbing all over me and shouting for lunch, so I should probably go do that. Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Oh you should see if you can find a copy of Snowflake Bentley.

lissla lissar said...

I just looked it up, and that book looks amazing. Thank you!