Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Still plugging along, and also I need more caffeine

Thomas is suddenly on fire about reading. Well, not LITERALLY on fire. But excited. We're generally managing to do some academics and a lot of trips out, which is great and tiring. I can see that daily math practice is definitely having an effect on Nat- his mental math is getting much smoother and faster. And Thomas is ACTUALLY READING. REALLY READING A LITTLE. And that is so exciting to me that I can barely restrain my enthusiasm.

Now I just have to figure out how to work in poetry, history, art, and copywork. It's one of my arbitrary goals to try to produce kids who can write legibly. Geoff is probably laughing hysterically about that, but think how nice it would be to have kids who can write things that other people can read. Unlike, say, me.



It's interesting the way we're sliding into structure, after a few very unschooling years. I'm pro unschooling, autodidact, follow your interests, but as the kids get older I think it's my job to equip them with the tools they'll need in order to follow their interests.And acquiring those skills isn't a ton of fun, but the ability to read well and thoroughly, to think critically, and to have a facility with math- those are all non-negotiable. And so the cheap math curriculum and the endless Starfall and The Reading Lesson. Later on, how to write papers with citations and how to use an index. Along with that, Grimm's Fairy Tales and Winnie the Pooh and the Church Mouse and all of Narnia, because we're trying to read the 1000 Good Books to prepare for when we're reading the 100 Great Books. Because however loosely I'm following the Platonic Path of Education, or Charlotte Mason, or whatever, what I want is for kids who know beauty and truth, and love them.

I think I need more breakfast. My blood sugar is clearly haywire.

No comments: