Friday, November 13, 2015

Maybe I'm not so useless

I just read a blog post from this time last year, when I was apparently reading Farmer Boy aloud to Nat. That means that in the last year, we've read Farmer Boy, Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie, By the Banks of Plum Creek, The Neverending Story, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, the Silver Chair, and The Last Battle. I think i'm missing one or two. Still, that seems like a pretty respectable list, actually. We started a few, like The Phantom Tollbooth, and The Horse and His Boy, which we didn't get very excited about.
These are Miriam's cuddly bed time toys
I'm hoping to read Momo next, Michael Ende's beautiful and strange novel about a little girl who listens so intensely that she can hear what people are really saying, and the Men in Grey who steal people's time, and the magical wise tortoise, Cassiopeia, who can see into the future by half an hour. Maybe The Lord of the Rings soon? Before or after The Dark is Rising?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You definitely need to add Lloyd Alexander's Book of Three to the list. One of my favorite children's fantasy series. It is a coming-of-age story so it might be a little advance, especially the later books, but if you're considering The Dark Is Rising I'd suggest the Book of Three first.

Also, not a fantasy novel, but one of my favorites from that age range was From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. And The Indian in the Cupboard.
-taxi