Thursday, November 05, 2015

Memorization

I am adding poetry memorization to the boys' work, but it's voluntary. They get a game app for every poem memorized, so their enthusiasm for memory work has just skyrocketed. It's pretty great.

Right now I am forcing Nat through his one whole page of math, which he could do in five minutes, but he is building a paper model of the FLDSMDFR from Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, and I have to keep dragging him back on track. We're almost done The Last Battle and I'm hoping we can read  Momo next, by Michael Ende (who also wrote The Neverending Story). Momo is a beautiful beautiful book about time and stories and love and someone who can listen so hard she can hear truth.

Now I think he's singing Stars from Les Mis.

Thomas is upstairs on my iPad, because he did his phonics and is halfway through memorizing A. A. Milne's poem about a furry bear. The girls are shouting about who gets to be the Mommy Penguin and whether or not there's any cake. They're not shouting at me, so everything is fine.

No comments: